Valentines day is my birthday. Which I hate. Like, couples stop being mushy it’s MY day. Yes it’s narcisstic but it’s the one day of the year you can be selfish (I hate other peoples’ birthdays, I admit it).
And this year I’m 26. Which is not only late 20s, it’s close to 30. When did that happen?
So I’ve been thinking about things I wish I’d known before now, aged 26.
1. You’re gay. Stop getting off with pals for the lads, you fancy women.
2. You don’t need to eat bread with every meal (even though you want to).
3. You can’t like everyone ever. But you can always be polite.
4. Some people do not want you to be happy, they want to one up you or see you struggle. Those people are toxic and you need them out of your life.
5. You don’t have to drink to have a good time. Some people won’t be okay with you not drinking and that’s their lookout.
6. You might not be skinny but that doesn’t mean you’re not beautiful, don’t let anyone suggest it does.
7. You deserve to be valued. And you will be.
8. You can’t walk in heels, you still don’t know if you ever will be able to.
10. You’re excellent at chatting, you need to work on your listening.
11. You are a feminist.
12. If there’s anything you don’t need in your life, it’s Facebook.
13. If you have a bad day, wash your face and get an early night. It’ll be better tomorrow.
14. You get grumpy when you’re hungry.
15. You can pull off blonde, brunette or red hair but don’t try to go from brown to ginger after 2 bottles of wine and no tea.
16. You should embrace your love of Shane Ward.
17. Tell people you love you love them and when you’re mad remember that you still love them so don’t go to bed mad.
18. Life is short so enjoy it.
19. You’re a funny woman when you don’t try too hard.
20. You’ll regret the outfit you wore to your graduation forever. And that tan. And haircut. It won’t stop your Dad proudly displaying the photos.
21. Some friends will leave your life. Hold your head up, it’s their loss.
22. The internet makes cats famous, but you’ll always know you loved them before they were cool.
23. Practice makes perfect; you can parallel park.
24. You worry too much.
25. The popular girls at school don’t matter when you’re 26. One of the ones who was mean to you amounted to nothing more than a pop up spray tan tent and a Facebook page, so there.
26. Your selfie game might have started off strong, but it keeps improving.